Sunday, November 16, 2008

Improve your Attention Span (#1)

Recently I read an article on CNN.com called Fuzzy Brain? Improve your Attention Span. This title caught my eye because I have trouble concentrating and I wanted to get some tips on how to stay more focused. I learned a lot from this article; first of all I learned the causes of you being focused. Your brain focuses when you have high levels of dopamine in your brain, which you get from new and exciting experiences. Then it explained the causes of little spurts of ADD behavior. The two main causes are lack of sleep, and stress/anger. Lack of sleep causes you to be deprived of oxygen that is necessary to make chemicals that help you focus and you are also not running on much energy. They suggest that to focus after a bad night of sleep you should have water and a healthy snack and do not drink a lot of coffee because that causes a short burst of concentration but then when you crash you are worse off than you were before. Stress and anger because you to be distracted because you are so focused on your anger alone that you can't focus on the task at hand. Ways to relieve stress or anger induced distraction are aerobic exercise and if you don't have time to go out for a walk or work out you can just stand up and that helps a lot. This article was interesting and helpful and I will definitely use these tips to help me focus in school.

Link to the article: CNN.com


No comments: